Thursday, May 3, 2012

Kids and TV...

So this blog is going to be a little different, but it is something to do with the kids and what has been on my mind....and I need some advice!!!

I have been struggling with the TV and the kids. They don't watch it. Lilah is a YEAH RIGHT, In my dreams will she even pay attention to it and Evan is if you let him he would watch a movie, but doesn't ask every day, actually very often at all.
I know as a child I watched TV, but I don't remember it being something I did all the time. I rarely remember sitting and watching TV. There are some shows I do remember watching, but not on a Saturday morning or anything like that. Mainly I remember playing sports, playing outside with neighbors or my back yard, and doing stuff as a family. Not in front of the TV. Maybe I didn't enjoy the time in front of the TV, so that is what I don't remember watching it a lot. Who knows. ;)
So this is my struggle... The kids maybe watch 30-60 mins of TV a week. I have friends that kids watch TV everyday for a certain time or whenever they want. I am also not being super strict with the kids either...They never ask to watch TV. Usually when Evan does, I let him, because he never asks. I don't know if I am in some ways doing them a disservice not watching more TV. Yes, I know that sounds so funny, but some kids I know have learned so much and in some ways are more advanced because of what they watched on TV.
The kids and I play a lot and they play together a lot ( thank you God!!), so I never think about turning the TV on. Maybe if Lilah watched TV I would be more likely to turn it on, so that both of them would be watching TV while I, umm showered, did the dishes, got ready, sat down and just stare into the walls. The possibilities are endless in my mind of what I could do if they both sat down for 30 mins, but I still get everything plus more done that needs to be done and play a lot with them. I am home with the kids a lot by myself, not as much as when they were younger ( thank goodness), but still home alone a lot. So do I really need to turn the TV on?

Basically I would love to hear how you limit TV for the kids and what you do while they are watching TV. I know some of you may say do what is  to do what is best for the kids and the family and I feel that we are doing what is best for them, and I have actually prayed over this. I laughed with God, I just felt silly, but this has just been weighing on me for a week or so. I don't want this to come off in anyway slamming parents about letting their kids watch TV or movies every day. This is just what we/I have done with the kids since we had them.

Thank you in advance for your advice back to me. I will try and update you all!!! LOVE YOU

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sorry I am just now responding--I am really not good at doing the blog thing these days. :)
I don't think you are doing ANYTHING wrong by not purposely turning on the TV. Everything they can learn from TV/videos, they can (and DO!) learn from you. You are an awesome mom and I am always inspired by how cheerfully you play with and encourage your kiddos. Believe me, at some point, you will have to set limits on how much TV they are allowed to have, so for now, I would enjoy the fact that they don't even ask for it! You are doing great, Jessica. :)