Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Camping ADVENTURE!!!

Oh this is a story we will always remember. We left Saturday to head up to the Mt.Hood to go camping at Trillium Lake. We did not have a reservation for Saturday night, but borrowed my parents RV, so figured we would sleep at a rest stop or parking lot and we would be good. The next day we were going to go to the MT. Hood Adventure park at Ski bowl, so we wouldn't be in the parking lot for long.

On our drive up there Mike stopped to check something and everything looked fine, so we kept going. Looked for at a couple campgrounds and everything was full, so we went into this parking lot that was nice, shaded, and fun for the kids. I love how the kids did not even care we were in a parking lot, they played in the little sand and dirt they had, ran around the parking lot, walked the dogs. It was great. getting everything set up there was smoking coming from the brakes. I didn't really think anything about it, that it was some what normal driving and braking with the big RV. Mike had mentioned to me the brakes felt funny, but it was probably just them warm from the hot day, "Ok, thanks dear."

We had a blast a man with his 6 yr old daughter was broken down in the parking lot, so we offered them dinner, and a restroom. This is the first sign that I know we were meant to be there. They were able to use the bathroom in the RV and the little girl got to talk with the kids a little and make her day a little better. It was nice being able to help them. We had fun last  night. Made our plan for the am that we would get up to the adventure park at 9 to make lunch and get ready to go play for the day!!

Morning came we were getting ready as planned, went to drive off and we had no brakes. going like 2mph, granted down hill we could not come to a stop. Tried it a little more, and I saw Mikes face, I knew something was not right. We turned around to get going up the hill and still not stopping really at all. Mike pulled over into the shade and we called my Dad. I do love my husband so much and I am glad he did not really say anything to me about how the brakes were acting when we did get up the mountain, but kind of mad, because I truly did not know they were that bad and he felt that way. I thank God that Mike is an awesome driver and knows what he is doing. This was our other reason why we were meant to be in that parking lot. Much easier for a tow truck to get in there and tow the RV out.

My parents drove up and decided to stay the night. Since we had a car we were able to go to the adventure park and still have a great time. We never made it down to the lake, but hey that is what next time is for, right?

What I love is that our trip was ruined. We could not drive anywhere and we were in a parking lot for 2 nights. Yes, we were in an RV, but still had to be careful with water and our electricity, but we all had a great time. We made the best of what was going on. The kids were awesome. When we told them we weren't able to go to the lake or the adventure park they were fine. We told them we were going to have fun still and they were all up for it. I love that they are like that, especially Evan, since he gets it more and can be bummed out. Lilah is just along for the ride still.






 On our way home we also stopped at the Rainbow Trout farm and caught a few fish. It was such a nice way to break up the drive and do something fun. Evan has been asking to go fishing again, so we stopped here. I love this place. The owners are just so great and fun. They love their job!!!




We just thank God that we were able to get up to the mountain safely and that the brakes when out completely up there and not when we were coming down. we are so blessed and truly thankful for Him keeping us safe. Also that we were able to still have a great time and get to do fun things.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love your attitude, as usual, Jess, and thank yo, Lord for your protection of this sweet family!
I'm so glad you were able to make the most of the trip anyway!